Nov 1, 2011

Bringing a Portfolio Back to Life

Here we go again.  It doesn't seem like very long ago that I took my first shot at creating a separate portfolio site to highlight all of my online ventures.  I launched a site at the beginning of 2010 and after months of upkeep and rearranging, the project fizzled out by the end of the year.  So what's changed?

Even though the portfolio didn't quite work out the first time, it didn't stop this blog or my ambitions from growing.  My online video views have continued to increase, I launched Jeeves and the Jaguar this year, and my content has become more diverse as Editing Luke evolved largely on whims.  The challenge for me then has been about how do I sum all of this up? Where do I send people? How do I promote myself? How do I take this to the next step?

When I considered all of these things I realized that what I really wanted was a portfolio again.  Editing Luke or my YouTube channel seem like obvious places to direct to, but if I'm honest, there's so much content on both that they're not always focused enough to be strategic. A portfolio has that luxury and I can feature content with goals in mind. I can also work business cards into the mix to then direct contacts and friends to my portfolio as a hub. The plan therefore is simplicity.

The new site has already been designed so this project isn't far from completion.  More updates will be available shortly. 

2 comments :

Wendy said...

Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see the new site. I just ordered business cards myself, so we'll have to trade!

Angry Charlie said...

Cool beans! This'll be cool to see. Now, iffin you want some tips on how to be successful with a blog, just ask me and I'll help to make sure this new portfolio site is exactly what you're looking for! :D