Sep 14, 2009

Indio Photo Book

Having never been much of a photo album kind of guy, when I got back from my Indio, California road trip with my friend Dave at the end of August, I looked at all the cool pictures that I had on my camera and knew I wanted to print them.

The issue I've always had with photo albums is that they're often generic looking. My approach to the stereotypical 'slide show' or home video has always been to cut an entertaining travelog together, so it should come as no surprise that I wanted to approach my photos with the same energy. What I opted for was creating an elaborate published photo book using Blurb.com. Combining the bulk of my candid shots, landscapes, and even stills from the video I shot, I created a 158 page, 13x11 inch, full color, hardcover, professional grade book. It just rolls off the tongue, haha.

This is the cover of the book, I'm sitting on the foot of the T-Rex in Cabazon, California.



While the quality and detail of the book should be top notch, it certainly wasn't the cheapest option. At nearly $130 spent on the project and hours spent designing the pages and layout it was fairly consuming. Still, I was happy to do it for the sake of creating a meaningful memento and making the photos even more enjoyable to see.

I'm sure this kind of thing isn't for everyone, but with the user-friendly and customizable software that you can download from Blurb.com I'm already thinking up my next book idea. While photo book options are available through different photo stores, this is the only one I found that actually advertised professional grade options - hence the higher price tag. In any case, I just thought this was a great service worth sharing.
 

No comments :