Jul 30, 2007

On a Jet Plane

It would be nice to say that I'm leaving on a jet plane, but sadly it isn’t so. 

I felt inspired to put this video together because my friend Tyler is actually about to take his first ride on an airplane. He's heading to Los Angeles on a vacation that's been several years in the making, which will no doubt be full of even more firsts and great experiences. Seeing as he's spent the majority of his life in Saskatchewan, I look forward to hearing about his adventures in the big city. 

I think there are more than a few movies that start out like this.  Have a good trip Tyler! (and maybe spread the word of Buick to the Future while you're down there!) 

Back to the plane though. I remember my first plane ride was to LA too, or more specifically, Disneyland. I was in grade 3, travelling with my parents and sister, and being so young the unexpected was a bit more frightening than thrilling. I vaguely remember sitting on the plane and my mom explaining to me what the take-off was going to be like.  Kind of like a roller coaster, she said. Funny how I can still picture that. She was right, it was fun. 

I don’t remember the flight so much (I think my sister and I got to go check out the cockpit), but the take-off was intense. I picture my grade 3 self clinging for dear life to the arm rests of my seat, but still beaming thinking about the Magic Kingdom. For someone who doesn’t get to fly all that often I still find it to be a pretty spectacular experience. Looking down with such a brilliant perspective, I don’t know if it’s something a person ever really gets used to. 

Although the romanticism may be destroyed somewhat by the hassle you have to go through at the airport, flying is still pretty darn cool.


No comments :